TABLE TO TABLE
President, Hasbrouck Heights, NJ
Over140Million Meals ServedandCounting
Table to Table, as the largest and most successful fresh food rescue program in the State of New Jersey, seeks a highly strategic, creative, entrepreneurial, and growth-driven leader with the fundraising prowess to secure prosperous relationships to fulfill the most basic needs of its New Jersey residents the right to food and freedom from hunger.
Table to Table is a community-based fresh food rescue program that collects prepared and perishable food that would otherwise be wasted and delivers it to organizations that serve the hungry in Bergen, Essex, Hudson, and Passaic Counties in New Jersey.
More than half of the children living in poverty in New Jersey reside in one of the four counties served by Table to Table and nearly 14 percent of these households are food insecure and struggle to find enough food.
Founded in 1999, Table to Table "rescues" food from about 200 donors (e.g., supermarkets, distributors, food delivery services, and restaurants) and delivers it mostly within the same day, free of charge, to over 120 community organizations including soup kitchens, homeless shelters, after-school programs, and homes for the elderly. Table to Table operates a fleet of refrigerated trucks for the daily pick-up and delivery of enough fresh food to have served 19 million meals in 2017 for less than 10 cents per meal. The goal for 2018 is to deliver enough food for 20 million meals. Recently, the charity added refrigerated warehouse space to further expand its reach and impact within the community.
Table to Table takes no government money and relies solely on its own efforts to raise the funds needed for its 501(c)(3) nonprofit operation. Each year, and with the support of several major corporate sponsors, the charity hosts two major fundraising food and wine events in the spring, honoring a "celebrity" chef. In the fall, the organization's Bag a Lunch, Help a Bunch initiative features a kickoff luncheon and engages more than 100 schools and companies in the campaign.
Located in Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey, Table to Table has a $1.7 million operating budget. The charity is supported by a staff of 13 and an active, engaged all-volunteer 20-member Board of Trustees.
Table to Table's success is well recognized. They are proud to have maintained their Charity Navigator 4-Star rating for seven consecutive years, and rank as one of the highest human services programs in the entire state as 98 percent of funds raised go toward food deliveries. In addition, they have been acknowledged by the GuideStar Exchange as a Platinum Level Participant Agency a highly prestigious rating for registered nonprofits in the country.
The President will report directly to the Chairman of the Board. As the founding President retires, the Board seeks a new leader who not only embraces the history, past performance, and positive culture, but also expands on the organizational reach to meet the ever-increasing demand for hunger relief.
The Board of Trustees seeks a high-energy, accomplished professional to lead, manage, and raise philanthropic funds from a wide variety of sources. The successful candidate, being the public face of the organization, will have a dynamic, can-do personality and a long list of accomplishments to his/her credit. He/she will be a skilled, talented executive with a proven record of successes in leading an organization, engaging and inspiring the community, and raising funds. Importantly, this person must be prepared to "do whatever it takes" to ensure the job gets done successfully. The majority of the President's time will be spent on fundraising activities.
Through accelerated fundraising, the vision is for the organization to sustain a budget increase to more than $2 million annually within a reasonably short timeframe. This funding goal will allow the charity to serve dozens of additional agencies currently on their "waitlist."
Leadership and Management:
- Working closely with the Board of Trustees, set aggressive but achievable annual and long- term goals and objectives for the organization;
- Manage resources, staff, and logistics to ensure operational success;
- Balance objectives and resources both internally and externally to sustain, strengthen, and grow the organization;
- Oversee the direction, implementation, and quality of all programs and services;
- Provide policy, planning, and governance information to the Board, assist in the selection and evaluation of Board members and provide support for quarterly Board meetings;
- Prepare the annual budget and submit to the Board for review and approval;
- Prudently manage resources to meet budgeted targets and make timely reports for the Board with tracking information and projections that would lead to effective decision-making;
- Guide the course of action with operations staff and challenge all staff and volunteers to exceed annual goals.
- Execute fundraising activities that are clear in their objectives, measurable in their impact, and reach a diverse audience;
- "Own" the fundraising budget for operations and effectively present relevant financial information and updates to the Board of Trustees on an ongoing basis;
- As "fundraiser-in-chief," with a $1.7 million annual budget, perform hands-on fundraising (both planning and implementing), identifying funding sources, approaching both corporate and individual funders to reach and exceed fundraising goals;
- Serve as "event-manager-in-chief" to sustain a positive stream of event income by lining up sponsors, honorees, auction items, and preparing event-related materials;
- Work closely with the Strategic Philanthropic Advisor to identify, cultivate, and bring new revenue sources into the organization;
- Employ a keenly developed level of interpersonal skills to enable the highest level of positive interaction with corporate contacts and sponsors;
- Manage and lead all grantwriting efforts by working closely with a retained consultant to research corporate, foundation, and individual funders that have an interest in supporting the mission. Prepare grant proposals and manage the tracking and requirements associated with grant allocations;
- Strengthen existing relationships with current corporate and foundation donors; identify prospective institutional funders and establish and cultivate relationships;
- Identify and cultivate new major individual donors and funders to achieve continued revenue growth; strengthen relationships with existing donors to further their commitment to the organization;
- Maintain and strengthen a web-based donor records system of confidential data to record a history of giving and to serve as a tool for fundraising efficiency;
- Continue to grow a strong brand that positions Table to Table as Northern New Jersey's premiere private human service organization and as a national hunger relief pioneer.
The ideal candidate will have the following experience and qualifications:
- An organized and strategic approach to development with at least 10 years of professional success creating and executing fundraising efforts in a complex, sophisticated, high-profile, business-driven nonprofit organization, including at least several years in a leadership position;
- Strong management skills and team leadership experience, including the ability to manage and coach team members, while establishing individual accountability within a collaborative, goal-driven environment;
- A proven track record expanding and cultivating donor relationships long term, including the ability to personally solicit and close significant gifts and to empower others within the charity to do so as well;
- Outstanding communication skills both verbal and written with the ability to make passionate public presentations representing the organization and the compelling composition of final form documents as required to engage funding sources and "sell" the mission;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with various constituencies committed to raising money, quickly gaining their respect and support;
- A record of success in organizing and implementing diverse fundraising strategies, adhering to financial goals, analyzing and identifying problems, and formulating creative solutions;
- Ability to communicate effectively and influence and engage a wide range of individuals; must have a desire to work in a team-based, collaborative environment and be able to engage productively with the staff, Board of Trustees, and outside constituencies; ability to employ social networking and new media techniques to reach donors, and craft programs and materials to engage donors;
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit and ability to thrive in a small organization with limited resources;
- An earned baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.
The ideal candidate will be:
- Committed to the values and mission of the organization; a caring leader with humility, modesty, honesty, grace, and integrity driven to help others with dedication, enthusiasm, and a high level of energy;
- A sophisticated, confident, intelligent, and articulate self-starter who is creative and entrepreneurial, yet collaborative and team-oriented; persuasive, persistent, diplomatic, discrete, and politically savvy;
- A strategic thinker and trustworthy colleague with impeccable judgment whose advice will be sought and respected;
- Energetic and willing to work hands-on in developing and executing a variety of fundraising strategies from the day-to-day to the highly creative and unusual;
- An individual with strong leadership skills, including the capacity to inspire teamwork, build consensus, and motivate a wide variety of stakeholders; able to develop successful working relations with the Board of Trustees and high-end donors specifically;
- Poised under pressure; one who enjoys working on multiple projects in a changing environment;
- Flexible and well organized, with appropriate attention to details and the skills to plan, prioritize, and follow through;
- An individual who is familiar with the northern New Jersey area.
Please send applications and nominations to Susan Meade at TabletoTable@PhillipsOppenheim.com.