Blue Shield of California Foundation
President and Chief Executive Officer, San Francisco, CA
PRESIDENT AND CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
To build lasting and equitable solutions that make California the healthiest state and to end domestic violence.
Are you inspired to transform health and healthcare and to reimagine a future where equity is the norm?
Are you committed to driving and scaling impact for sustainable systemic change that emphasizes prevention in achieving healthy outcomes?
Every day for more than 15 years, Blue Shield of California Foundation (BSCF) has been collaborating with forward-thinking partners to advance the wellbeing of all Californians. Acting as a catalyst, BSCF has leveraged its programs and partnerships to help build strong vibrant communities, innovative networks, and promote policies for equity in health. BSCF is committed to being part of and influencing a future that is not here yet. The next President will operate with a sense of optimism, creativity, and urgency to improve health outcomes for vulnerable families. With a bold entrepreneurial spirit, s/he will build upon BSCF's current strategies and inspire new thinking and action.
The President will support the strength of communities where all people are heard, respected, and engaged supporting community self-determination for optimal community results. S/he will be a change agent, developing partnerships and investing in solutions for systemic sustainable change. To advance the Foundation, the President will build strong effective teams and leverage intellectual and capital resources by collaborating with peer foundations and other stakeholders often bringing together agencies that historically haven't worked well together. Lastly, the President will tell the story of the Foundation and its many partners in a compelling way to build upon the reputation of BSCF and Blue Shield of California to inspire more equitable policies and action. All of the efforts of the next leader will be driven by accountability, transparency, and humility with an unwavering commitment to the value of universal health coverage.
ABOUT BLUE SHIELD OF CALIFORNIA
Blue Shield of California, an independent member of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, is a not-for-profit health plan dedicated to providing Californians with access to high-quality healthcare at an affordable price and to advancing an equitable healthcare system. Blue Shield of California provides health insurance products and related services to nearly four million members in the state of California and is transforming the way healthcare is being delivered. The San Francisco-based company has more than 6,500 employees with annual revenues of over $20.5 billion.
The Company promotes effective leadership that 1) gets results; 2) builds teams; and, 3) continuously learns. It believes key leader behaviors additionally require taking accountability, conquering fear, and doing what is needed.
In 2011, Blue Shield made a "two-percent pledge," becoming the first health plan in the country to limit its net income to two percent of revenue. Since that time, Blue Shield has returned more than $520 million to its customers and the community through the Blue Shield of California Foundation. Blue Shield is consistently named one of the World's Most Ethical Companies.
Given California's rich diversity with a population of over 40 million and more than 220 languages represented, BSCF recognizes the "one-size-fits-all" approach does not work. To address the diverse needs of Californians, BSCF adopts a position of health equity in which health is about more than just healthcare. BSCF is committed to generating long-term solutions that address the root causes of poor health and violence from access to affordable housing and good schools to ensuring personal and community safety. BSCF is working with communities on three breakthrough initiatives to support the needs of all Californians.
BREAKING THE CYCLE OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE by addressing the root causes in order to prevent future violence while also continuing to support and heal survivors.
COLLABORATING FOR HEALTHY COMMUNITIES by bringing people, programs, and communities together to identify new ways to address complex social drivers of poor health.
DESIGNING THE FUTURE OF HEALTH by creating a space for generating and testing breakthrough ideas that foster long-term health, safety, and wellbeing.
Located in San Francisco, California, the Foundation has a staff of 23 and an operating budget of approximately $45 million. BSCF operates as an independent, nonprofit organization and is funded entirely by contributions from Blue Shield. The Foundation's work is closely aligned with Blue Shield's mission to create a healthcare system that is worthy of family and friends, and is reasonably affordable.
PRESIDENT'S PRIORITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
LEADERSHIP Blue Shield of California Foundation Leadership: Drive a sense of urgency for health equity outcomes. Inspire, support, and develop an engaged staff with a shared vision. Facilitate collaborative work with external partners. Develop and refine strategic initiatives and growth to build capacity and deliver strong outcomes. Serve as a driver of innovation by continuously scanning for new opportunities and partnerships. Achieve sustainable results, build trust while operating with transparency, authenticity, and commitment. Blue Shield of California Leadership: Lead with a passion for the mission of providing high-quality healthcare at an affordable price. Serve as a key member of the Company's senior staff leadership team, devoting 25 to 30 percent of the time developing the Company's operating plan, allocating resources, and charting long-term strategy.
EXTERNAL REPRESENTATION/COMMUNICATION Act as a visible and persuasive spokesperson for the Foundation's vision. Skillfully address the media, policymakers, and other important constituencies, promoting policy through advocacy and collaboration with other groups. Make it a priority to address diversity, equity, and inclusion internally and externally. Effectively represent the Foundation's work with external constituencies serving as a respected thought leader throughout California and the nation on healthcare.
LEARNING FOR IMPROVEMENT Support worthy experiments to promote continuous learning for scalable and sustainable solutions with a relentless focus on results. Capture and share the core methodologies, approaches, and thinking that distinguish the Foundation's work.
BOARD AND COMPANY RELATIONS Establish a strong working partnership with the Company's CEO and leadership team and the Foundation's Board of Directors built on trust that enriches their experience and leverages their best ideas and efforts in the governance and support of the Foundation.
IDEAL EXPERIENCE AND CHARACTERISTICS
The successful candidate will have:
- A passion for and ability to see and work toward the transformation of the healthcare system to ensure equity with respect to access and outcomes.
- Have experience developing creative solutions, challenging the status quo, coming up with fresh perspectives and breakthrough ideas, and encouraging constructive risk taking.
- An ability to drive focused alignment to promote overall enterprise strategy and goals.
- A relentless focus on sustainable results and delivering sustained measurable impact.
- A deep commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- A skill for building trust, operating with transparency, authenticity, and commitment, showing sincere interest in the points of view of others.
- A commitment to fostering a learning culture, encouraging questions and reflection on successes and missteps and encouraging experimentation. The self-confidence to take responsibility for and learn from mistakes.
- The interpersonal skills to communicate, collaborate, and build relationships effectively.
- A record of successful leadership in the healthcare, public health, philanthropy, government, public policy, or social services sectors.
- An understanding of and commitment to multi-sector, intersectional work.
- Unquestionable integrity and the highest ethical standards.
- The ability to articulate a vision and inspire and engage the Board, staff, stakeholders, and the community at large.
- Experience building high-performing teams.
- The sophistication and strategic abilities to promote systemic change and analysis.
- The executive maturity, emotional intelligence, political savvy, and ability to navigate complex ever-evolving systems.
- A naturally collaborative and inclusive management style with the ability to act decisively when necessary.
- An individual who is fair, open minded, a good listener, loyal team player, and a calculated risk taker.
Blue Shield of California Foundation seeks a diverse pool of candidates. Salary will be negotiable commensurate with experience. Applications, including cover letters and resumes, and nominations should be sent to the attention of Paul Spivey and Susan Meade at BSCF@PhillipsOppenheim.com.