Fairwinds - Nantucket's Counseling Center
Executive Director, Nantucket, MA
Fairwinds - Nantucket's Counseling Center provides confidential, quality professional care to adults and youth who seek mental health and addiction services. All are welcome, regardless of ability to pay.
Are you passionate, driven, and relentless in your commitment to ensure all people in your community have access to the support they need and are equipped to thrive?
Are you committed to helping people build the resilience necessary to manage their life challenges effectively?
Are you motivated to be a trailblazer in your community? Would you be inspired by the opportunity to be a leading voice for mental health and wellness in a small, dynamic community?
Will you thrive in a small community where being a people person really matters because everything is rooted in the relationships you build?
Are you a builder? Can you develop lasting strategic partnerships and alliances throughout an entire community? Can you build a brand focused on community-wide impact?
Are you a fierce champion for vulnerable families, and do you hold the value that everyone, regardless of their socioeconomic status, should have access to high-quality care?
Are you creative, optimistic, and resourceful to lead a small, lean organization that has deep roots in this community with 18,000 year-round residents and more than 40,000 seasonal residents?
If the questions above inspire you, Fairwinds may just be the place for you.
For 60 years, Fairwinds, centrally located on the island of Nantucket, has provided high-quality and confidential mental health services for the Nantucket community. Each year, Fairwinds makes a meaningful difference in the lives of over 1,000 Nantucket residents. Fairwinds has a long tradition and commitment to serving all residents regardless of ability to pay, insurance status, and other barriers.
Through its compassionate, person-centered, and individualized approach, Fairwinds offers Outpatient Mental Health Services, In-home Family Services, Addiction and Recovery Programs, Medication Management, and more. The agency prioritizes prevention, wellness, and education throughout all of its services and programs. Fairwinds' corps of dedicated clinicians and support staff is committed to helping each client develop personalized solutions that are enduring and foster growth and resiliency. Fairwinds runs a thriving consignment shop the Seconds Shop which makes the largest cash contribution to the agency through its operations. Fairwinds has an annual operating budget of just over $2 million and a staff of 21 employees (full- and part-time).
RESPONSIBILITIES AND PRIORITIES
- Leadership - Lead with an inspiring strategic vision while attending to day-to-day operations, services, and activities. Establish and refine employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions. With six direct reports, support a committed staff with a shared vision and sense of purpose, working closely with them to foster cohesiveness with an understanding of how best to delegate. Create ongoing opportunities for training, learning, growth, and creativity for staff and set benchmarks holding them accountable. Serve as a thought leader and innovator.
- Fundraising/Income Generation - Cultivate, broaden, and secure a diverse funding base from foundations, corporations, and government with an expanding focus on individual donors. Build a strong culture of philanthropy within the organization in which Board, staff, and alumni serve as ambassadors and engage in relationship building. Grow and build upon earned income revenue streams such as clinical revenue, government grants, and the Seconds Shop.
- Evaluation/Quality Assessment - Ensure organizational and personal learning and knowledge sharing. Define organizational and staff goals and performance expectations, providing guidance and conducting regular performance evaluations. Effectively use client survey to improve services offered. Learn from leading counseling centers in the field to determine opportunities for enhancements. Focus on evidence-based interventions, both psychosocial and pharmacological, and support opportunities for staff to gain proficiency in state-of-the-art evidence-based practice. Measure efficacy of service delivery and outcomes with clear metrics. Review and approve contracts for services. Implement strategies for promoting continuous programmatic improvementas island's landscape and participant needs continue to evolve.
- Board of Directors - Establish a strong working partnership with the Board of Directors, bringing forth their best ideas and efforts in support of Fairwinds, and continue to strengthen the Board through the recruitment of new members, as needed. Partner with the Board on vision, strategy, fundraising, policy, and organizational visibility. Oversee Board committees.
- Communication/Marketing - Oversee all agency communications. Serve as a passionate and persuasive advocate, spreading the message, philosophy, and methodology of Fairwinds' transformative work. Enhance Fairwinds' social media profile and use the newest forms of technology to promote the organization. Increase Fairwinds' visibility and critical influence throughout the island through representation via local and national media. Collaborate effectively with partners and inspire them to help spread the Fairwinds message.
- Financial Management/Administration/Strategic Planning - Oversee Fairwinds' administrative and management systems, internal policies, and procedures. With transparent reporting, ensure fiscal sustainability and health through accurate accounting, budget preparation, record keeping, and financial reporting. Work closely with finance professionals and the Board Treasurer to ensure that sound financial controls are in place and that funds are spent wisely to preserve the organization's financial wellbeing. Maintain up-to-date knowledge of laws, regulations, and standards pertinent to Fairwinds, and demonstrate compliance. Oversee human resources, legal, and auditing functions.
- Strategic Partnerships - Actively build upon existing partnerships and seek new strategic alliances to advance Fairwinds' mission and work. Strengthen relationships will all service organizations on the island from all sectors. Engage in serious Friend-Raising, seizing on opportunities to benefit Fairwinds.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND CHARACTERISTICS
The Executive Director will:
- Have a successful record of proven leadership, managerial, problem-solving, and strategic planning capabilities, and commensurate fiscal acumen as an executive in a growth-oriented nonprofit organization, government agency, or business; have an exemplary reputation with stature and credibility in behavioral health service delivery and/or a relevant field;
- Demonstrate compassion, empathy, and an unwavering commitment to support people in distress and ensure their long-term health;
- Be inclusive and a consensus builder, willing and able to make tough decisions when necessary; possess deep emotional intelligence and political sophistication to deal effectively with multiple constituencies;
- Lead by example, bringing out the best in others;
- Effectively manage organizational communication of the mission to donors, volunteers, and the overall community;
- Prioritize equity and diversity, listen with understanding, and treat everyone with respect; be available and approachable;
- Possess high-level strategic thinking and planning skills, with the ability to inspire staff, Board, volunteers, and donors;
- Have the creativity to break free from established structures and try new approaches to solving problems; have a belief that anything is possible and the ability to get it done;
- Capitalize on social media and other forms of technological strategies to strengthen Fairwinds' profile, influence, and business operations;
- Operate with a strong work ethic, a commitment to excellence, a high level of energy, a sense of purpose, and kindness.
- Experience working with clinical personnel is required;
- Bachelor's degree required; master's degree preferred;
- 5+ years' experience in a leadership role required.
For more information about the organization and its programs, please visit https://www.fairwindscenter.org/.
Fairwinds is an equal opportunity employer. Fairwinds recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
Salary will be negotiable commensurate with experience. Fairwinds believes in a healthy workplace and offers benefits such as medical/dental/vision, ample paid time off, parental leave, and flexible office hours. Note that the Fairwinds team is currently working remotely, and most programming is being conducted virtually until COVID-19 conditions improve.
Applications, including cover letters and resumes, and nominations should be sent to the attention of Paul Spivey at Fairwinds@PhillipsOppenheim.com.