Manhattan Neighborhood Network
President and CEO, New York, NY
PRESIDENT AND CEO
Established in 1992, Manhattan Neighborhood Network is a media hub that promotes creative expression, independent voices, and community engagement, through learning, production, and distribution of programs.
Are you fired up to address the lack of media access that all too often strips marginalized communities of a voice? Are you energized about ensuring local community access to cutting-edge media technologies and services?
Do you think big? Are you inspired to grow a robust community-based media enterprise and take the organization to new heights?
Are you energized to secure partnerships and sponsorships and build a base of new investors and influencers?
If so, we invite you to keep reading and think about the untapped opportunities to empower all New York City residents to use state-of-the-art technologies, to benefit from exposure to experienced media makers, and to tell their compelling stories.
ABOUT MANHATTAN NEIGHBORHOOD NETWORK
Founded in 1992, Manhattan Neighborhood Network (MNN) is Manhattan's free community-based, media and public access cable network, operating two state-of-the-art media production facilities and seven television cable stations in the borough. As a digital media learning, training, production, and distribution center, MNN gives the 1.6 million residents of Manhattan a platform to express their views and access the tools they need to share their stories. Through MNN's Center for Media Education (CME), one of the largest media educators in the city, MNN prepares media makers with cutting-edge media education and technical assistance. Residents have free access to emerging media facilities and equipment to air programming on its cable channels. As an inclusive place of education and learning, creativity, and inspiration, MNN offers bilingual programs as well as programs for youth. For over 30 years, MNN has been a leader supporting community engagement and community determination, promoting diverse, often unheard and ignored voices.
Currently, on an annual basis, more than 400 certified producers use MNN's equipment and facilities. Over 500 producers submit programming to air on MNN's seven channels. MNN's community producers and Manhattan-based nonprofits create and broadcast over 8,000 hours of award-winning original content on MNN's seven channels and on the MNN website.
Manhattan Neighborhood Network is the largest community media center in the country with an annual budget of $7 million and a staff of 35. Its state-of-the-art media/production facilities are located at Henry Hall steps away from Hudson Yards, Penn Station, and Port Authority on 38th Street and El Barrio Firehouse Community Media Center on 104th Street in East Harlem.
THE POSITION AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to the Board and overseeing a strong executive team, as MNN's chief advocate, spokesperson, and fundraiser, the President and CEO ensures that the organization is fiscally and administratively sound and that its operations, communications, information systems, plans, fund development, and relations with stakeholders are strong. The President and CEO will have the sophistication to manage and lead the operations and activities of a comprehensive production company with multiple facilities and commercial and noncommercial media outlets. They will oversee all programming, media education, and community outreach.
Charged with building a robust media organization, this leader will develop relationships with community leaders, legislators and other government officials, media professionals, and cable executives to strengthen and grow a base of revenue streams for the organization. The President and CEO will lead and develop innovative and effective ways to continually monetize operations while maintaining a commitment to the mission. They will capitalize on MNN's unique platform of media education, dynamic community media, and embracing emerging technologies to strengthen the organization and its market presence in the larger media landscape. The new leader will build upon MNN's historic legacy and reputation for quality to establish greater visibility as the most effective community-based media and public access organization in the country.
IDEAL EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Applicants should have strong interest/experience with film/TV/visual media and media arts education and ideally the following qualifications and experiences:
- A leader with an unwavering commitment to equity and a passionate commitment to access and the empowerment of marginalized voices.
- A strong leader and catalyst able to articulate a vision and motivate and engage others. An individual with a naturally consultative and inclusive management style. Someone to ensure strong internal communications and coordination with staff. Adept at recruitment, retention, and promotion with a mechanism for goal setting and performance evaluation. An executive experienced in working in multisector, multicultural environments.
- An executive with proven senior-level managerial, problem-solving, strategic-planning and growth-oriented skills and commensurate fiscal management and analytical strengths. A superb manager and leader of a complex nonprofit organization or for-profit media, education, or media-related business. A demonstrated ability to balance long-term strategic vision with daily operational issues.
- A skilled communicator with the presence and credibility to serve as an effective and enthusiastic spokesperson and builder of relationships with community leaders, local media and arts organizations, and the general public.
- A talented and seasoned fundraiser able to attract financial resources by building effective relationships and networks with potential donors at all levels. Adept at developing and growing corporate, foundation, and individual giving to meet the organization's current and future needs. Skilled to exercise diplomatic persistence in the cultivation of existing and prospective donors with the ability to close the deal.
- Able to ensure that contracts with city government and cable companies remain strong.
- Inspired to oversee the preparation and presentation of diverse and thought-provoking, cutting-edge educational services and programming that attract and engage audiences while being financially viable and preserving artistic integrity.
- An innovative leader with success as an entrepreneur developing and implementing a business model to grow a multifaceted organization into a robust business.
- An experienced negotiator with the skills to structure deals, establish strategic alliances, set strategic direction, and secure buy-in from all constituencies to implement a path forward.
- Committed to effective marketing and promotion, enhancing organizational visibility. Knowledgeable on how to assess and measure organizational effectiveness, including educational and programmatic activities and the organization's standing in the field of media. A leader who holds themselves accountable for the bottom line.
- Experienced to establish a strong working partnership with the Board of Directors, gaining their trust and confidence as a strong peer, and forging relationships that will bring forth their best ideas and efforts in support of MNN's programs and activities. Networked to help attract new Board members.
The ideal candidate will be:
- A community-oriented, mission-driven, entrepreneurial thinker and advocate who shares the values of community media and recognizes its connection to all media.
- A creative and inspirational leader able to articulate and implement vision and policy. A team builder and connector who is open minded and can respect, listen, and work well with internal and external constituencies. Flexible and adaptable, yet firm and decisive when necessary. Confident enough to delegate appropriately.
- Business savvy with an understanding of how best to cultivate investors and grow a public access enterprise, securing optimal return on investment.
- Insightful and able to anticipate future trends and implement strategies to stay ahead of the curve.
- A scrappy, resilient, tough, entrepreneur with the emotional intelligence and required finesse to collaborate and negotiate effectively with diverse parties.
- Proficient with technologies and emerging trends in media.
- Strong and versatile intergenerational communicator.
- An emotionally mature lifelong learner with a sense of humor and playful dose of pizzazz.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is estimated at $250,000 to $300,000. MNN offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package.
Manhattan Neighborhood Network is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
Applications, including cover letters and resumes, and nominations should be sent to the attention of Paul Spivey at MNN@PhillipsOppenheim.com.
For further information about Manhattan Neighborhood Network, please visit http://www.mnn.org/.