van Ameringen Foundation
Director of Grants and Operations, New York, NY
DIRECTOR OF GRANTS AND OPERATIONS
The van Ameringen Foundation funds innovative programs in Philadelphia and New York City that seek to increase accessibility to and/or advocate for high-quality mental health services for people and communities in those cities with limited financial means and opportunities.
The van Ameringen Foundation (vAF) is a private grantmaking foundation established by Arnold van Ameringen. Mr. van Ameringen contributed his wealth to addressing matters of mental illness. For over 60 years, the van Ameringen Foundation has stayed true to this mission, focusing on mental health treatment, particularly in New York City and Philadelphia. The Foundation is an intergenerational family foundation that honors the quality values and legacy of its founder.
The Foundation is currently governed by a board of 10 including three non-family members. The Foundation is based in New York City with a current staff of two. With an endowment of approximately $80 million, the Foundation has a 2023 grant budget of $10 million.
Do you believe in the power of philanthropy as a catalyst to transform the mental health and well-being of individuals, communities, and systems?
Do you derive satisfaction from strengthening infrastructure and ensuring effective systems?
Are you a team player devoid of ego who is hardworking, detail-oriented, and scrappy enough to handle big and small administrative matters for a purposefully lean organization?
If so, we invite you to keep reading about the unique opportunities to ensure that this important foundation runs effectively to continue to make lasting differences in the lives of many facing mental health challenges.
Reporting to the Executive Director (ED), the Director of Grants and Operations will oversee all aspects of grants administration including issuing grants, tracking grantee communications and reporting, trustee meetings, communication as well as grants analysis, approvals, and IT management. In addition, the Director will oversee day-to-day office operations and administration functions including bill paying and updating the vAF website and social media.
- Process grant applications and payments ensuring compliance with IRS regulations and corporate and foundation requirements.
- Drive workflow process improvements and support the ED to ensure effective communication with vAF grantees, potential grantees, trustees, and administrative and IT consultants.
- Provide clear and concise grants administration policies and procedures for grantees and staff.
- Organize and participate in site visits as directed and support the ED in preparation and communications of grants information with vAF Board.
- Provide timely response to grantee and potential grantee queries; keep ED informed of same.
Information Management, Analysis, and Reporting:
- Oversee all aspects of data entry and ensure integrity and quality of grants information system and data.
- Manage data/impact analyses for grants monitoring and reporting, planning, and implementation.
- Provide grant information and analysis for all internal and external reporting requirements.
- Manage financial data and assist with budgeting and financial reconciliation.
- Support vAF's financial auditors to ensure timely filing of annual certified financial audit.
- Support the management of vAF's Mission-Aligned Investments; prepare documents for and participate in Investment Committee meetings.
IT and Office Management:
- Lead, with support from IT support firm, the upgrade of vAF's grants management software (Salesforce) and implement ongoing technology improvements.
- Work with IT consultant to ensure smooth flow of grantmaking and impact investment information with ED and trustees and coordinate upgrades to new systems.
- Receive, distribute, and respond to emails and phone calls, order supplies, pay bills, and undertake other key management functions as assigned by ED.
- Manage monthly office expenses and, in collaboration with bookkeeper, ensure expenses are within budgetary guidelines.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills, with superior attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to design, implement, and monitor effective workflow processes and procedures.
- Knowledge of and ability to navigate social media platforms; ability to quickly gain command of new technology systems.
- Solid knowledge of and demonstrated capacity to manage Salesforce software.
- High proficiency in MS Outlook, Excel, Word, QuickBooks, and data analysis.
- Detail oriented, flexible, well organized, and willing to travel locally in New York City and Philadelphia for a deadline-driven position.
- Strong ability to focus and execute.
- Nonprofit/foundation compliance knowledge a plus.
- BS/BA degree with at least five years of relevant work experience.
- Commitment to the highest standards of professional, ethical behavior.
- Quintessential team player and an effective listener.
- Highest level of integrity.
- Commitment to serving vulnerable and diverse communities.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The estimated annual salary for the position of Director of Grants and Operations is $150,000. The Foundation offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package.
The van Ameringen Foundation is committed to an inclusive, diverse, equitable, and accessible work environment, and further recognizes that diversity in its workforce fosters excellence and is reflected in the Foundation's values.
Nominations and applications including cover letters and CVs should be submitted to the attention of Paul Spivey at vanAmeringen@PhillipsOppenheim.com.