The Philanthropy Workshop
Managing Director, Americas East, New York, NY
MANAGING DIRECTOR, AMERICAS EAST
Are you a passionate problem solver committed to addressing the urgent social issues of our time?
Do you want to inspire, support, and mobilize action to change the lives of vulnerable populations and communities?
Are you an entrepreneurial leader who connects people, resources, and ideas for meaningful, sustainable change?
Do you identify as part of a dynamic, global community standing up for the broad values of human rights and equity?
Are you a growth-oriented builder? A builder of community, networks, ideas, movements? A builder of the brand?
Do you have the entrepreneurial spirit and resourcefulness to work effectively in a small, lean organization while possessing the gravitas and finesse to command respect and attract support from philanthropists, social investors, and influencers?
Does the core essence of your humanity compel you to act - to act now?
If so, we invite you to explore the powerful role you can have in unlocking impact and mobilizing resources to create and sustain the solutions our people and planet need to thrive.
WHO WE ARE
For 26 years, The Philanthropy Workshop (TPW) has been a growing, dynamic, and highly entrepreneurial organization equipping members to give better and achieve greater impact. TPW offers its vibrant community of more than 350 active members worldwide a strategic approach and point of view of what works in social investment, curated peer learning and engagement, and opportunities to leverage resources and innovations. Each member embraces the core principles and practices of strategic, trust-based philanthropy and works collaboratively to take risks, deploy resources more effectively, and share learning and results in an open-source way. Members learn from and challenge one other. The strong bonds developed within the community often lead to highly successful collaborative social ventures.
Our mission at TPW: To accelerate social impact by mobilizing a global community of strategic investors united by their commitment to unlock resources, lifelong learning, and entrepreneurial approaches.
TPW has a team of 11 staff members across offices in London, New York, and San Francisco. This position leads our New York regional office and reports to the Executive Vice President.
WHO WE NEED
TPW is seeking a Managing Director, Americas East to drive growth of the community along the East Coast and other key markets in the Eastern United States and Eastern Canada. Our work environment is fast-paced, informal, collaborative, and results oriented. This position works closely with all members of the TPW team, especially the global Community Team led by the Executive Vice President.
Over the next five years, there is an urgent, unprecedented opportunity to respond to systemic challenges including climate change, income inequality, and racial equity and justice. We are at a pivotal moment as an organization operating at the intersections of social progress. Working with our members and partners, TPW can accelerate social impact and address these systemic challenges by mobilizing our global community of strategic investors to unlock more resources in more effective ways. We believe the current status quo of philanthropy needs to be disrupted in order to solve the substantive problems humanity faces.
Social progress requires committed leaders working in community, higher-leverage strategic partnerships, better data, and proven best practices. TPW has been leading this movement for many years, and we are ready to extend our reach to meet this moment.
We are looking for a proven leader who embraces our community culture, which is built on trust, challenge, and action. We embrace growth and learning mindsets, and acknowledge that mistakes are part of the journey. Our culture reflects the complexity of this work and our own commitment to the more just, sustainable, and healthy world we seek.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Design and implement a member and community-building strategy specific to the East Coast that fosters meaningful relationships, learning, and peer-to-peer connections across the TPW community;
- Manage and lead a portfolio of philanthropists and social investors, deeply engaging with and architecting community and opportunities amongst these members;
- Drive new member recruitment on the East Coast and other key markets in the Eastern United States and Eastern Canada to achieve team membership targets;
- Lead the New York regional office and advance plans to hire and manage a small regional team (2-3 staff) to execute strategic priorities and support (which could increase quickly);
- Ensure new members are successfully onboarded and integrated into the community through curated learning programs and member peer groups, setting them up for long-term engagement with TPW;
- Organize and deliver excellent local programs with the Community Team's direction and support to enhance member learning and encourage consistent engagement across the TPW community;
- Regularly represent TPW as the East Coast leader at professional gatherings and social events, and directly support TPW members on select local engagement opportunities; and
- Regularly facilitate member exchanges, small group discussions, and programs with the aim of prompting greater learning, connection, and action.
WHO YOU ARE
TPW recognizes that experience comes in a variety of forms and is willing to consider candidates with a range of backgrounds. TPW has a small, high-performing staff; the ideal candidate fits into its fast-paced, mission-aligned team. This requires a self-starter who thrives working together with colleagues as well as independently, is willing to lead new projects, and is eager to contribute in a wide variety of ways to the TPW global team and community.
A successful candidate has the following personal and professional traits:
- Passion for the TPW mission and driving positive social change;
- Humility and ability to "roll up your sleeves" and jump in;
- Commitment to equity and inclusion;
- Commitment to a growth and learning mindset;
- Relationship-driven focus;
- Ability to build a collaborative culture;
- Sense of urgency and commitment to action and measuring results;
- Respect for community;
- Confidence leading and growing a team; and
- Trustworthy with integrity and a sense of humor.
- BA/BS degree in a related field;
- Minimum eight years' work experience in/knowledge of nonprofit, philanthropy, and/or technology sectors;
- Experience leading, building, or scaling engagement programs or networks;
- Experience interacting and liaising with philanthropists, investors, or senior executives;
- Demonstrated knowledge of and existing relationships with key partners in the East Coast social impact sector;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, facilitation, and presentation skills;
- Able and willing to work highly independently and also in a collaborative setting;
- Comfortable in entrepreneurial and nimble environments, working as a resourceful, flexible team member who can wear many hats as needed to meet objectives;
- Unwavering attention to detail;
- Strong technological skills;
- Ability to learn and develop new skills; and
- Willing to travel regularly along the East Coast and select travel outside the region as needed, including occasional nights and weekends.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications, including cover letters and resumes, and nominations should be sent to the attention of Paul Spivey at TPW@PhillipsOppenheim.com.
The Philanthropy Workshop provides equal opportunities to all individuals without regard to race, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.